The Laboratory Assistant will perform operations that will aid in maximizing the research productivity of the laboratory staff. Day-to-day functions include reagent preparation, cleaning and autoclaving of equipment and materials, solid and liquid waste disposal, inventory management and other duties to support daily operations of the R&D teams. Neurona Therapeutics is an early stage biotechnology company based in South San Francisco focused on the development of neuronal stem cell-based therapies for neurological disease. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small team and take part in building an exciting, science-driven company.
Lab Assistant Responsibilities:
- Perform sterile preparation of laboratory glassware, tools, and reagents
- Oversee the stock inventory, ordering and receiving incoming reagents
- Stock all areas of R&D with appropriate supplies
- Assist scientists with operations involving some technical manipulations, if appropriate
- Clean water baths, incubators, freezers, biological safety cabinets and other equipment on a scheduled basis
- Responsible for biohazardous waste management
- Coordination of equipment calibration, servicing and repairs
- Follow Good Documentation Practices, Good Laboratory Practices and Standard Operating Procedures when required and adhere to all safety and company policies
- Participate in self-development activities and training of others
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the quality of products and/or services.
- Work well in a team environment with shared responsibilities and assist with core assay service as needed
Lab Assistant Skills & Experience:
- AA or BS degree in biology, biotechnology or a related field
- Pre or post-graduate experience in a clean room or cell culture lab is preferred, but not required
- All standard laboratory bench techniques commonly acquired through obtaining a BS degree
- Ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary groups in a fast-paced work environment
- Superior organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately
- Ability to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
- Track record of reliability and ability to work independently in a laboratory environment.
- Communicates well in oral and written format, and must possesses adequate computer skills for word processing and data management
- Willing and able to work on a flexible work schedule, to meet the demands of the R&D team
Associate Scientist/Scientist (Analytical Development)
The Associate Scientist/Scientist, Analytical Development will play an integral role in the development, optimization, execution and transfer of analytical methods for the characterization of our cell therapy products. We are looking for a highly motivated individual, with hands-on experience in flow cytometry, cell based assays and PCR methods. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast paced, highly collaborative startup environment.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small team, work on transformative science, and take part in building an exciting, science-driven company.
- Plan, design and execute studies to develop new analytical methods for in-process controls and product characterization
- Provide analytical support for process development activities
- Collaborate closely with Discovery Research, Quality, Process Sciences and external partners in the development and transfer of analytical methods
- Communicate results in written and oral presentations, and develop documentation (SOPs, development reports etc.)
- Ph.D. in relevant scientific or engineering discipline with at least one year experience in the biotechnology industry, or other relevant degree and experience in biotechnology
- Experience with cell based assays, flow cytometry, PCR based methods
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to clearly and effectively present and document experimental data
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and guidelines on analytical development (e.g. GMPs, ICH Q9/10)
- Experience with state-of-the-art high content/high throughput technologies for cell based assays a plus
- Previous experience with cell therapies a plus
Research Associate (Discovery Biology)
- Maintain human pluripotent stem cells and differentiated cells.
- Perform stem cell differentiation and characterize differentiated cultures.
- Conduct fluorescence-activated cell sorting, as well as magnetic sorting, experiments.
- Execute immune-cyto-chemistry experiments to analyze gene expression.
- Utilize high content image acquisition and analysis technology to perform high-throughput quantification of gene expression analysis.
- Execute molecular biology related activities including DNA/RNA prep, PCR, cloning, construct generation, virus prep, and in-situ hybridization.
- Prepare tissue culture reagents (media, small molecules, cytokines); Tissue culture room upkeep and restocking.
- Maintain detailed records.
- Bachelor’s degree in cell/molecular biology or related field.
- Clear knowledge of sterile tissue culture technique (at least two years experience).
- Familiar with pluripotent stem cell culture, in vitro directed differentiation paradigms, and molecular/functional characterization of derived cell types.
- Willing to work a limited number of hours most weekends.
- Excellent writing, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to take initiative to improve work processes, develop innovative scientific methodologies and approaches to enhance research productivity.
- At least one year of experience with human pluripotent (embryonic or induced) stem cell maintenance, differentiation, and cell sorting/flow cytometry.
- Experience with transcript- and protein-based gene expression analyses, high content screening, and lab automation technologies.
- Knowledge of brain development.
Research Associate (Preclinical Neuroscience)
Neurona Therapeutics is an early stage biotechnology company based in South San Francisco created to develop stem cell-based therapies for neurological disease. Our ideal Research Associate candidate is a self-motivated individual who has clearly demonstrated a passion for scientific research. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a small team, work on transformative science, and take part in building an exciting, science-driven company.
- Perform manual scoring of bio-potential signals such as EEG
- Perform rodent surgical procedures such as telemetry device placement, intracranial injections, dosing and tissue collection
- Analyze data, interpret results and generate figures for presentations
- Ability to use Matlab or other software for signal processing data analysis is desirable
- Conduct independent experiments and contribute to collaborative activities
- Maintain detailed and accurate records and laboratory notebooks
- Perform basic laboratory procedures and protocols, including preparation and handling of reagents
- Previous relevant lab experience and supporting references
- Experience with rodent survival surgery
- Experience with biomedical signal processing is desirable
- Highly motivated, self-directed with the ability to participate in multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to contribute to a team
- Clear, effective written and verbal communication
- Reliable availability for limited weekend work
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in biology, neuroscience, bioengineering, or a related field
For immediate consideration, please email your resume to .
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer offering a competitive salary and benefits package.
All applicants should be legally entitled to work for any employer in the US.
Note to Employment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. The company will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.